Samuel Hallís Warrant from 1737
The warrant which later became the Broband family farm and then the Yinger family farm originally was a land warrant issued to Samuel Hall on February 21, 1737. This warrant was recorded in the warrant registers of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Samuel Hall may have been the father of Thomas Hall who Gibson credits as one of the pioneer settlers of Newberry Township as discussed previously.
A family tree posted on Ancestry.com recites that a Samuel Hall who lived in Chester County, Pennsylvania was married to a woman named Mary Hodges. According to the posting they had the following children:
John born February 27, 1691
Elizabeth born November 29, 1693
George born March 1, 1695
Ann born May 11, 1698 in Springfield Township
Samuel born June 25, 1701
Thomas born April 24, 1704 in Chester County
This same source asserts that Samuel Hall died in Chester County, Pennsylvania in 1737 the same year his warrant for the acquisition of the land in Newberry Township of Lancaster County (later York County) was recorded in the warrant registers of Lancaster. The warrant register is available on the internet at the Pennsylvania Archives web site. It is arranged alphabetically by surname. Here is an excerpt of the entry recording the warrant issued to Samuel Hall on February 21, 1737:
From the warrant register the following information can be extracted about the property warranted to Samuel Hall by Pennís heirs:
1. The warrant was number 135
2. The warrant was for 300 acres (subject to actual survey)
3. The location was ďOn Fishing Creek bet. Yellow Breeches and Conewago crks.Ē
4. The warrant was dated February 21, 1737
5. The dates of return, acres and Patentees were:
a. May 18, 1810, 132.153 acres to John Shuman
b. April 30, 1813, 42.133 acres to Anthony Yenger
c. March 29, 1821, 94.114 acres to John Fetrow
Additional information is provided on the warrant register for Volume and page locations for the original warrant documents and where surveys are located.
It should be noted that the very next entry on the warrant register after Samuel Hall is for warrant number 136 to George Hall on the same date, February 21, 1737 for 200 acres. Given the previously mentioned family tree information cited, it seems likely that George was the son born to Samuel Hall on March 1, 1695. Thomas Hall was born April 24, 1704 according to the same genealogy.
So it seems possible, if not probable that two brothers, George and Thomas, obtained warrants for property in Newberry Township in 1737. George did so in his own name. Thomas obtained his property through their father Samuelís name. According to the warrant register Georgeís land which was warranted to him was patented to Joseph Prowell on September 15, 1818 in the amount of 244 acres. The date of February 21, 1737 for these two warrants indicates an ownership interest in Newberry by Samuel Hall and his son George only four months after final legal ownership was obtained from the Indian tribes on October 25, 1736.
The warrant register for the land acquired by Samuel Hall in 1737 makes no mention or reference to the owners of the property between Samuel Hall and John Shuman, Anthony Yinger and John Fetrow. No mention is made of the fact, which will be explored later, of the intervening ownership of Jacob Broband (aka Provent) followed by his son in law George Yinger, Anthonyís older brother. For that matter, someone else may have owned the Samuel Hall property, or part of it, between his ownership and the ownership by Jacob Broband.
It should also be noted that a long period of time between the original warrant date of 1737 and the survey and patent issuance in the 1800ís transpired. Had intervening surveys and patents been recorded, they would likely have been referenced. The probability is that owners between Samuel Hall and the trio of John Shuman, Anthony Yinger and John Fetrow never had the process of surveying and patenting completed during their period of ownership. This seems strange to us today. However, it was not that rare for land warrants to go a long time before the steps were completed to survey and patent the property. Hively provides insight into this phenomenon in his work cited above:
ďSome Patents were granted at almost the same time as the field survey in the Eighteenth Century. Other families delayed applying for a Patent until as late as the mid 1870ís. In the Nineteenth Century the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania attempted to prod land owners to secure patents for their lands by various means of incentives and restrictions.Ē
A section of map 33 prepared and published by Neal Otto Hively showing the Samuel Hall and George Hall tracts relative to surrounding tracts and geographic features is presented below:
Notice the close proximity to the Susquehanna River which forms the right border on the excerpted image above. Notice also the Big Spring Run tributary of Fishing Creek which bisects Samuel Hallís tract. The red dotted line which runs from east to west through the property indicates that the property straddles the line between Newberry Township and Fairview Township.
Samuel Hallís tract and George Hallís tract share a common boundary line. Also the road from the Middletown Ferry indicated on the image above was laid out in 1763 and passed through both the Hall tracts. My research indicates that road has been replaced by the Yocumtown Road (route 392) which follows a more southerly path which is parallel to and slightly north of Fishing Creek today. Yocumtown Road does not pass through the land that was once Samuel Hall and George Hallís tracts.
The following excerpt is taken from the companion book to map 33 describing the details of the warrant and patent information for the Samuel Hall warrant later patented to the trio of Anthony Yinger, John Fetrow and John Shuman:
Note the variant spellings given for each of the final Patentees. Shoeman vrs. Shuman; Zinger vrs. Singer vrs. Yinger (the true name); Fettrow vrs. Fetrow. This illustrates the difficulty the original clerks had properly spelling German names which had often been modified from their original German spelling. It also illustrates the problems later editors and compilers often have reading poor handwriting on the copies of the original documents.
Copies for each of the original documents cited above by Hively in his book titled NEWBERRY AND FAIRVIEW TOWNSHIPS, York County, Pennsylvania; Original Pennsylvania Land Record Series (Volume 15) exist in the York County Heritage Trust in downtown York, PA. In chronological order, scanned images are presented below:
Samuel Hallís warrant dated February 21, 1737 for 300 acres:
The survey of the unsubdivided property dated September 18, 1809 requested by the trio of John Shoeman, John Fettrow and Anthony Zinger (Yinger):
The survey dated September 19, 1809 for John Shumanís patent (dated May 18, 1810) portion of the property:
The survey dated May 30, 1811 for Anthony Yingerís patent (dated April 30, 1813) portion of the property:
The survey dated May 30, 1811 for John Fetrowís patent (dated March 29, 1821) portion of the property:
Here is my plotting of the subdivision effect of Samuel Hallís 1737 warrant into three parts for Anthony Yinger, John Fetrow and John Shuman based on the information cited above:
It has been previously mentioned that at least two intervening owners existed between Samuel Hallís ownership which started with a warrant in 1737 and the trio of Anthony Yinger, John Fetrow and John Shuman. Jacob Broband (aka Provent, Brovant, Provant) became the owner of the sections later owned by Anthony Yinger and John Fetrow consisting of about 140 acres. Then Jacob Brobandís son in law, George Yinger who was Anthonyís older brother, became the owner of the same property in 1788.
Copyright © 2009-2011 Samuel E. Yinger. All rights reserved.