William Bamberger Ownership of the former Broband\Yinger\Fetrow Family Farm
William D. Bamberger acquired the former Broband\Yinger\Fetrow family farm from Andrew Hykes and his wife Mary Jane Hykes on March 17, 1920. The purchase price stated in the deed was $7,000 dollars. The size of the property was specified in the deed as 144 acres and 7 perches.
On May 6, 1943 William D. Bamberger and his wife Carrie Bamberger sold substantially this same property to Ralph Leicht and his wife Dorothy Romaine Leicht after holding the property for about 23 years. The deed is recorded in Book 36-B pages 116-117. A transcript of the deed is included on a separate page of this “family farm” section of the web site. William D. Bamberger to Ralph Leicht, 1943 Land Deed. The size of the property was specified in the deed as 136 acres and 59 perches. This is about 7.5 acres less than the size of the property in 1920 when the Bambergers acquired the former Broband\Yinger\Fetrow family farm from the Hykes family.
Here is the plotted property depiction based on the deed transferring ownership from the Bambergers to the Leicht family on May 6, 1943:
Several modifications to the former Broband\Yinger\Fetrow family farm were made during the Bambergers’ period of ownership. These alterations can be determined from a careful reading of the deed of transfer when they sold the property to the Leichts in 1943 and from comparing the plotting from that deed to earlier plottings of the property. One change occurred in the southwest corner of the property. A triangular piece was transferred to C. J. Huntsberger during the Bamberger period of ownership between 1920 and 1943.
In 1919 Mr. Huntsberger had acquired a 124 acre and 139 perch adjacent property to the former Broband\Yinger\Fetrow family farm on the west side of Corn Hill road from the estate of Henry C. Fetrow. Henry Fetrow was a son of John Fetrow Jr. and Lydia (Brubaker) Fetrow. He was born in 1846. He was also a brother to Jacob Fetrow who was born in 1835 and John Fetrow III who was born in 1843. Each of these three sons inherited different parts of the extensive real estate holdings of their parents when John Fetrow Jr. and his wife Lydia died in the late 1880’s.
Here is the plotted property depiction based on the deed transferring ownership from the estate of Henry C. Fetrow to Cameron Huntsberger on March 9, 1919:
In a later section of this web site discussing the former Broband\Yinger\Fetrow family farm, a current tax map is presented which depicts the interrelationship between the Huntsberger property and the former Broband\Yinger\Fetrow “family farm.”
Another alteration to the “family farm” property during the ownership of the Bambergers occurred to the northwest corner of the property. This can be detected from a comparison of the 1943 deed plotting to earlier plottings and from a carful reading of the deed. Apparently the Bambergers sold or exchanged property to\with John Miller between 1920 and 1943 which resulted in modifications to the boundary lines in that northwest corner.
Current tax maps and aerial photographs confirm that those modifications are preserved to this day. Again in a later section the current tax map is presented and photographs are also presented which, hopefully, clarify these modifications which were made during the Bamberger family ownership period between 1920 and 1943.
In 1943 the Bambergers sold the former Broband\Yinger\Fetrow family farm to Ralph Leicht and his wife Dorothy Romaine Leicht thus ending their period of ownership.
Copyright © 2009-2011 Samuel E. Yinger. All rights reserved.